Coupons 101

Okay, so I am beginning my journey to save money for my family. I am clipping coupons from the Sunday paper and paying real close attention to the weekly sale ads for stores I shop. I am also paying attention to stores that are close by my area, but not IN my area. Some of their sales are worth the gas to get there just because the savings are so phenomenal. While clipping coupons this past weekend, I found a wonderful site (thanks to my Aunt Sue). It is all about how to organize your coupons to get the most out of them. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to organize, so I love this site.

I also learned that for me, it is best to clip the coupons for products that I know I'll use, but to save the entire circular. So, to begin my coupon saving, I have gotten a portable file box from Wal-Mart. I then have a hanging file folder with the dates for the week on there (i.e., 9/20-9/26/09). Inside the hanging file folder, I have a manilla file folder for each different circular (i.e., smart source, etc.). That way, as I am reading other money saving blogs, when someone posts of a great deal in a circular from a certain date, I can go back and find it! Never, never miss a great saving opportunity!!!

Another useful tidbit of information: You can stack coupons. I mean, I knew you could go to Walgreens and stack their store coupons with manufacturer coupons for added savings, but now I know that you can use one product for each individual item you buy. For example, if say Walgreens is running a BOGO add for soap for $5.99/each, and you have 2 manufacturer coupons for the said soap for $1 off. When you get to the cash register, you get the two products BOGO for $5.99 total. You use your TWO $1 off coupons (because you bought TWO items), therefore, you get the soap for $2 each!! What a deal!! I must show my coupon-ing ignorance here, I thought you could only use one coupon per trip to the store, but OH NO! you use one coupon per individual item you buy! No wonder you can save so much if you just put a little time into planning your trips to the store.

Check back each week for more coupon-ing tips! I plan to post "What I Get for the Money" each week with my coupons and local sales. As I am learning, hopefully, you will learn too.

I am totally open to any suggestions you may have for your local sales, etc. Please leave your comments to help everyone out!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

First and foremost, I am a mom to two beautiful little girls! Caleigh is 3 years old and Peyton is 2 months old. I am well versed in being a mom, but I am still learning new things every day! I also have my master's degree in exercise physiology. I worked in the healthcare field for 5 years before I decided to be a stay at home mom with my oldest daughter.